Parkside to host Ryder Hesjedal's Welcome Home Shindig
Both Ryder Hesjedal and his hometown fans have a lot to celebrate after the cycling star followed up a successful first edition of the Tour de Victoria with a top-20 finish at the Tour de France, helping his Garmin-Cervélo squad win the overall team title.
Riding towards a common goal will be a prevailing theme at Ryder's Welcome Home Shindig, which will be held as a fundraiser for the Wheelmen/Wheelwomen Ride Bicycles initiative and in honour of the more than 500 Tour de Victoria volunteers.
After all, the 140-km South Island tour had a lot to do with pedaling more than 3,000 grueling kilometres through France.
“I had a great season this year and one of the highlights was riding the roads of Victoria with everyone in the Tour de Victoria,” said Hesjedal. “The support from the community was amazing and motivated me all year long.”
The event is being held for volunteers and supporters at Parkside Victoria Resort & Spa on Friday Sept. 16 from 6-10pm.
Activities will include:
- Ryder Hesjedal autograph table
- Video footage of the 2011 Tour de France and Tour de Victoria on the big screen
- Live music featuring The Casey Ryder Trio
- Wheelmen/Wheelwomen t-shirt sales for fundraising
- Draw prizes and raffles
- Appreciation speeches for Tour de Victoria volunteers and supporters
- Awards presentations to local cycling talent and community supporters
For more infomation about this event, please contact Jon Watkin.