Fall fun in Victoria
As we pack our bathing suits away for another year and pull on our sweaters, don't despair: there are plenty of fun things to do around Victoria, BC in the fall.
Just because the weather gets drizzly and the temperature drops a few degrees, it doesn't mean you have to stay inside! Head to one of Victoria's many outdoor clothing stores, grab some Gortex and get outside.
- Goldstream Park Salmon Run - Goldstream Park is worth visiting year-round, but it's particularly stunning in the fall when the leaves in the old-growth temperate rainforest turn from lush green to crimson and gold.
Watch the thousands of Chum salmon return to their spawning ground at Goldstream from mid- to late-October until early December.
- Storm watching - Storm watching isn't just a Tofino activity; head down to Esquimalt Lagoon, Ogden Point or Dallas Road to watch storms rolling in off the Pacific. Grab a hot chocolate and bundle up in your car for best viewing.
- Misty beach walks - Nothing feels more West Coast than bundling up in waterproof layers, pulling on a pair of gumboots, grabbing some java and heading down to the nearest beach in the early morning hours for a walk along the misty shoreline.
Late September and November are great times for this activity, since it's not too cold outside yet.
- Pumpkin pickin' - Get ready for Halloween and take a trip out to Galey Farms in Saanich. Fun for kids and adults alike, Galey Farms has fresh farmers' market foods, a corn maze, Western Town, hay rides, a pumpkin patch and even a railway that takes visitors for a ride around the farm.
Make sure you visit in late October for the Festival of Fear—the corn maze and Western Town get a 'horrific' makeover, complete with the always frightening and entertaining 'Carnevil' haunted house!
Sometimes a dreary and grey autumn day makes us feel like staying inside curled up with a good book instead of outside braving the elements. But a book isn't your only option for an inside day.
- Visit a museum or art gallery - Use the weather as the perfect excuse to spend the day discovering Victoria's cultural, historical and natural past.
Check out The Royal BC Museum for unique exhibits highlighting BC's human and natural history, as well as temporary displays with artifacts and exhibits from around the world.
Learn about BC's maritime history at the Maritime Museum of BC in Bastion Square. You'll find a great selection of nautical artifacts, fascinating displays on pirates, heritage vessels and shipwrecks as well as other featured exhibits.
Is art more your thing? Stop by the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria to see an excellent collection of art, ranging from West Coast contemporary to world-class Asian.
- Movies and theatre - Victoria is an arts and culture hub. See a live show at one of Victoria's excellent venues, such as The Royal Theatre, The McPherson Playhouse and The Belfry Theatre, or catch a show put on by The Intrepid Theatre Club.
Are there any fantastic suggestions we missed? Feel free to comment below with your favourite way to spend the day around Victoria in fall!