Parkside's green initiatives
In honour of our July contest, here are some of the many environmentally-conscious initiatives and features that Parkside Victoria Resort & Spa has implemented on its way to becoming Canada's first LEED® Platinum Certified resort hotel.
• During Parkside's construction, waste and materials were diverted from landfills at a rate of 92.3%.
• Parkside uses a 68,500-gallon storm water tank collection system for non-potable irrigation purposes throughout the resort.
• Water-saving plumbing fixtures have been installed in all common washrooms and change rooms, including waterless urinals, dual-flush toilets, low-flow showers and aerated faucets with sensors.
• Ozonation of pools and hot tubs eliminates the need for water replenishment, which reduces waste water.
• Water-efficient gardening and landscaping measures, including the use of native and drought-tolerant plants throughout the gardens and other areas of Parkside, eliminates the need for potable water irrigation.
• Zero use of CFCs and HCFCs in HVAC systems contributes to efforts to reduce ozone depletion that contributes to global warming and climate change.
• All of Parkside's suites feature luxury furnishings, fabric and décor made from low-emitting, non-toxic and recycled materials.
• A minimum of 15% of Parkside's materials contain recycled content. A minimum of 20% of all materials have been extracted and manufactured regionally.
• A minimum of 20% of the site will be restored due to the replacement of impervious surfaces with native, adaptive vegetation.
• All water features throughout the resort are ozonated, including the pool and hot tub. Ozonation reduces the use of chlorine by 90% and is both an environmentally-friendly and healthy alternative to conventional chlorine by-products found swimming pools.
Ozonation helps to reduce indoor chemical and pollutant sources and promotes better drinking water.
• Parkside is striving for environmental excellence in its operations and employs green housekeeping practices. Only EcoLogo® certified cleaning products and green cleaning methods are used in Parkside's operations.
• Parking spaces with electrical charging stations have been designated for alternative fuel vehicles.
• 46 bicycle racks and adjacent change rooms have been provided for Parkside's staff, retail visitors and its residents.
• Green power has been purchased from renewable sources for 50% of Parkside's electrical demand.
• More than 50% of Parkside's total site area, including the rooftop gardens, has native or adaptive vegetation.
• Building and construction materials used throughout the resort contain recycled content and have been extracted and manufactured regionally.
To find out more about our eco-friendly initiatives, stop in and take a free Green Building Tour today!