Summertime in Victoria, BC
Summer has officially arrived on the island, and you know what that means: fresh, local fruit and produce, outdoor markets, picnics at Willows Beach, bike rides on the Galloping Goose Trail and dinner and drinks on restaurant patios in the heart of downtown Victoria.
Not only are there lots of great things to do in Victoria in the summer, but also great festivals and events.
Here are our picks for the TOP TEN things to see and do in Victoria in the summertime.
- Shop at the outdoor downtown markets - Visit the Government Street Public Market for and interesting mix of arts, crafts, collectibles and food, or the James Bay Community Market for local farm produce, jams, flowers and music.
- Take in an arts festival - From jazz and ska to paint-ins and theatre, Victoria has something going all summer long! Pack some snacks, bring a blanket or folding chair and enjoy some of these great festivals and events.
- Enjoy your dinner on a restaurant patio - Downtown Victoria offers plenty of restaurants with outdoor patios. Do you like to be close to all the downtown action? Then head up to the beach-themed Rooftop Surfclub Patio at the Strathcona Hotel or Browns Social House just down the street for a fun and lively atmosphere. Is a waterfront patio more your style? Then try the Flying Otter Grill or the Canoe Brewpub for a great view and delicious, local West Coast food.
- Explore Dallas Road - Start at the breakwater and walk out to the lighthouse. You'll have an amazing view of the ocean as well as of the impressive cruise ships docked at Ogden Point. Walk along the Dallas Road walkway and watch the windsurfers and kites-flyers along the beach. Did you bring your dog with you? Then bring him to the Dallas Road dog park located right next the the walkway across from Beacon Hill Park.
- Window shop with ice cream - Head into one of the many ice cream or gelato places in downtown Victoria such as Sweet Memories, Oh Gelato or Roger's Chocolates Soda Shoppe and enjoy while checking out the shops on Government Street.
- Bike the Galloping Goose Trail - Rent a bike right downtown if you didn't bring your own and head out across the Johnson St. Bridge to the start of the Goose. You can go east out to the Westshore and Sooke or north along the Lochside Trail out to Sidney. Both directions are equally beautiful with lots of great stops along the way.
- Have a picnic at Willows Beach - Just a short drive or bus ride from downtown, Willows Beach is a favourite local summer hangout spot. Have a picnic on the beach or a barbeque on the large grassy field adjacent to the Oak Bay Tea room, which serves tea and goodies in the summer. Set up a volleyball net and have a game on the field, or bring your kids to play on the playground.
- Go whale watching - Summer is the best time of year to see whales along the coast of the island, so take advantage of the warmer weather and hit the waters with one of the many excellent whale watching companies in Victoria; you're almost guaranteed to see our resident Orcas (killer whales) and you might even spot a few Humpbacks as well.